I am really enjoying reading Performance – The Secrets of Successful Behaviour by Robin Stuart-Kotze.
Based on the fact that it is behaviour that drives performance and not personality. That behaviour is the actions you take and the decisions you make. You can control these things and decide what to do and when to do it.
The suggested specific behaviours that characterise a people orientated approach to accelerating performance really stand out to me –
· Delegating as much responsibility as possible
· Making sure people live up to their commitments
· Encouraging risk taking and personal development
· Actively soliciting ideas and suggestions from people
· Making sure people get credit for their achievements
· Recruiting people with high potential to learn and develop
· Building strong bonds of trust
· Helping people to learn from failure
· Encouraging people to identify how they can best add value
This list is interesting and a lot about learning and development. I also like the emphasis on the important area of building trust.